A REASON TO RUN

Thursday, September 20, 2012

What bothers you?




I hate it when I feel like my kids are beginning to cringe every time I call their name; when I can tell they are thinking, “what have I done now?” I feel so guilty about the fact that I have been noticing all of the negative stuff and have made a point to call them out on it.  I can’t seem to notice all of the good, much less take the time to praise them for it. This week I have really been trying to minimize any negative that I may notice and go out of my way to look for as much positive as I can find. I want my kids to love to hear their names and know that I find great joy in being their mother. Shocking what I have discovered, they really are great kids!

Anyway, in an attempt to adopt the motto “if you don’t have anything good to say don’t say anything at all” to my kids, my hormonal wrath has been in need of some sort of outlet. I have been channeling therefore, all of my frustration away from my children and have directed it straight toward the world at large. I am a pretty easygoing gal that doesn’t get too revved up about much at all; but there are a few things that get under my skin. I thought it would be fun to share them with you, just because.

Here are my top 10 pet peeves. If none apply to you then when I call out your name you will know that you have done nothing wrong, no need to cringe, and all is good between the two of us.


  • Skinny Jeans should only be worn by skinny people, preferably young, skinny people.

  • I hate dull knives. Sharpen them if you want me to cut something.

  • Unless my child or you are in imminent danger DO NOT tell him what he can and cannot do at the grocery store, park, restaurant, or wherever. You may watch and have as many judgmental thoughts as you wish. You may silently thank God or your lucky stars that he is not your child. But woman, I am standing right here! Back off! (this really no longer applies to me really, but it still annoys me and it annoys me for all of the mothers of young children of the world)

  • Don’t wear your PJ’s and slippers to Wal-Mart. No make-up is acceptable (right?), but for heaven’s sake, put on some clothes!

  • Don’t ask me to make something and then tell me how to make it, unless of course I ask you to. Do you trust me or not? If not, then don’t bother asking me.

  • If you walk out of a restroom without washing your hands you can’t possibly expect me to not have judgmental thoughts about you. Eeeeeww

  • Unless we are in a very loud place DO NOT eat an apple in front of me. DO NOT chew on ice. Just don’t.

  • What is the deal with the word “literally”? I believe the word you are looking for is figuratively. No, you did not just “literally” jump out of your skin or pull your hair out. Your heart did not just “literally” break in two, if it would have you would be dead. You are not “literally” starving or freezing to death. Don’t tell me you literally just ran two miles. I would believe you even without that added, unnecessary, abused word.

  • If you are not going to sit on the toilet to pee in the public restroom please grab a little piece of tissue and lift up the seat. If you expect your husbands and sons to do so at home then surely you can extend the same courtesy to people like me who know that you can’t possibly catch a disease by sharing a little bit of thigh space. SIT or LIFT up the seat.  Simple.
Don’t even get me started. I actually wrote on the topic a couple of years ago. Please read further HERE. I may have to write a book about it some day. Oh, it makes me so mad….


Have a blessed day. Tell your kids how great they are, and tell your friend that those skinny jeans are just called Skinny Jeans, they don’t actually make her look skinny.





No comments:

Post a Comment