A REASON TO RUN

Monday, February 13, 2012

Welcome to my 1991 (part two) The big kitchen reveal


So you are wondering what on earth does 1991 have to do with my kitchen...?

Well, if Mike and I had come to look at this house when we got back from our honeymoon with any hopes of buying it, (which we wouldn't have because it must be at least 5 times bigger than our first little 1 bedroom apartment, and probably that much more expensive too) we would have thought we had died and gone to heaven.

I know I'm making such a big deal out of this. And now that I have looked at the pictures, I'm thinking it really isn't THAT ugly. But since I have already begun this tale, I might as well follow it through.

Towards the end of July after looking at what seemed like hundreds of houses in dozens of cities and suburbs, I had at least began to narrow down what area we wanted to live in. I had gotten a little pickier at what I was willing to look at. I had chosen 3 or 4 more houses to check out in the area. My realtor, who knew me pretty well by now and had a good idea of what I was looking for, sent me a list of 3 more houses that he suggested that we check out. This house was one of them. I had overlooked it several times. You can guess why. It had many of my required features, but when I saw at the pictures on line, I just couldn't get passed how turned off I was by the looks of the kitchen. I decided to trust my realtor and give the house a chance.
I was totally smitten by the house the second I walked in. Not only was the house big and beautiful, it was impeccably clean and staged to a hilt. (If you ever put you house on the market don't for a second underestimate the importance of having a very clean house!!! You would not believe the kind of filth that I have walked into, and walked straight out of. Some of us do not thrive on vision and fixing up houses, so CLEAN them!!!) I often wonder if the folks that lived here, and their 3 children, actually lived in such preteen conditions all of the time.

But...how my heart sunk (and still does) when I reached the back of the house and looked left. Heeeellllloooo 1991! So folks here it is the kitchen that I hate greatly dislike.

Here is a picture of the bathroom towels we picked out 20 years ago (1991)
They look 20 years old. We use them to bathe the dog.



Photobucket


Here is a picture taken in 1999 (so it still counts as the 90s)


Photobucket 


And here are some pictures of our kitchen. A perfect match!!!


Photobucket 

Photobucket 


Photobucket

The lighting is awful. It is so dark that I sometimes call it the dungeon. During the winter when it is dark already while I cook dinner, I can't see a thing! It drives ma crazy!
Well, there you have it folks. That is what all of the hoopla is about. I know some may be thinking it's not so bad, and I'm sorry if I have offended you. But for the rest of you, take heart. Change is on the way.
The destruction has begun. Give me a month (or two) and I will let you take a look at our new and improved kitchen. I am giddy with excitement! I'm not saying much. I want it to be a surprise, so for now I'm going to just tease you with a small clue and peak into the new look coming your way. 

Photobucket 

Ya'll, this shot is so hysterical! Does your husband ever wear stuff that you really hate? That shirt... I want to burn it!! The suspenders... Do I really have to say it? And here is the best part, those safety glasses he is wearing, we call them "the birth control glasses"! Need I say more?
The normal looking guy next to him is his wonderful brother Mark. He came over for a while to lend us a helping hand.


Photobucket


In the meantime I may delight you with a new recipe or two. How does Beef Stew sound?
But, don't hold your breath.


No comments:

Post a Comment