A REASON TO RUN

Thursday, May 23, 2013

CURRY CHICKEN (the secret to a great marriage)




I'm about to give you my most prized possession. My this meal trumps them all. This is the yardstick meal that gets measured up to every other meal that I ever fix. This is the best I've got, folks. At least that is what my husband Mike thinks.

Whenever I ask for meal ideas I know that this will be the first one out of his mouth. So he's not allowed to request it any more. What I usually do when I'm in a "what the heck can I fix for dinner this week?" slump, I fix Curry Chicken and THEN I ask him: "Hey Mike, I need meal ideas, and we just had Curry Chicken so ask for something else."

This dish has always been Mike's favorite. He has probably had this for every single birthday for the past 21 years, on many other special occasions. I also make it a lot just because. It is actually one of the easiest and fastest meals I make. I'm pretty sure that thanks to Curry Chicken, I can be 100% sure that Mike will never leave me. I've got the secret weapon that keeps him and his belly madly in love with me.

As with Fettuccine Alfredo, you must throw all diet rules out the window, close your eyes and enjoy every single bite refusing to feel guilty about it.

Disclaimer: This is NOT an authentic Curry Chicken.  Just a simple cream based dish seasoned with Curry Powder.

I hope you enjoy it. Think of Mike and me when you are eating, and pray that you should be so blessed to have a marriage as awesome as ours.


Curry Chicken

1 large onion
1 bell pepper
1 and 1/2  lbs. chicken breast or chicken tenders
2 HEAPING tsps. Curry powder
1 tsps. salt
1 pint Whipping Cream

Serve with white or brown rice. Jasmine rice gives it a real nice flavor too.

Thinly slice your onion and bell pepper and brown with as little oil as possible so it won't stick to your pan.
 
 
 
 photo currychicken_zpscb489cd9.jpg

I put them on medium heat. As they slowly brown, begin to cut your chicken into bite-size pieces.
Don't you just love my gloves? You need to know that I have an aversion to raw meat. I hate, hate, hate, hate raw meat. It is disgusting, and it gets in your nails, and it's gross, and did I mention how much I hate it?



 photo McKinney-20130508-00483_zps085332ae.jpg
 
 
 When the onions and peppers are done, slide them onto a plate, add a little more oil to your pan and brown your seasoned chicken.
 
 
 
 
 photo McKinney-20130508-00486_zps87cfe7b8.jpg
 
 
 I like my Curry Powder to get nice and brown and be sticking to the pan without burning
 
  photo currychicken1_zps095c9f5e.jpg

 
Add your onions and peppers to the chicken and blend them all in, browning for another minute. Add cream, scrape all of the crusty stuff on your pan and watch it turn a nice yellow mustardy color.
 
 
 
 photo McKinney-20130508-00490_zps5366bbcc.jpg

 
As soon as you pour your cream, start cooking your rice. turn your heat up a little to bring your cream to a boil. Then lower you heat down. Stir every now and then as it reduces and thickens. If you are lucky and time it right, the rice and the Curry Chicken will be done at the same time.
 
 
 photo c2df3054-9808-47bb-8796-053d8b21c8f5_zps89f23981.jpg
 
 
 
 
 

 
 photo 259e30a9-b653-4bfe-9357-e4b1822d7de2_zpse7a0f6f2.jpg
 
 
 photo McKinney-20130508-00494_zpsab53b75b.jpg
 
 
Sorry I have such a hard time getting the lighting right.
 
 
I have found through the years that curry powder seems to get milder and milder tasting. what used to be just two teaspoons has turned into two heaping teaspoons, but I find myself wishing it was stronger and more spicy. Don't be afraid to add more curry if you like the taste and you want to add a little more kick.
 
 
Goes well with candied carrots, or a salad, and a good bottle glass of Chardonnay.
 
Enjoy!
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment